The Department of Computer Applications was established in the year 2008. It has its roots from the year 1985 and it is one of the well known departments in the field of computer applications education and research. It plays a vital role in both academic and research contributions to the society. The Department of Computer Applications offers Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A.), M.Sc. Data Analytics, M.Sc. Cyber Security, M.Phil. Computer Science and Ph.D. Computer Science programmes. It imparts the state-of-the-art computer knowledge to students so that they are ready to solve the real-world challenges.
- Salient Features
The Department of Computer Applications emphasizes a shift from mass teaching to personalized instruction, single learning to multiple learning, rigid daily program to flexible schedules, training in formal skills and knowledge, isolated content to interrelated, memorized answers to case study-based problem solving.
The curricula of various postgraduate programmes offered by the Department are designed to meet the criteria of industries especially skillsets for Industry 4.0. They are reviewed and updated regularly by industry experts, academicians, alumni and other stakeholders. The curricula include a proper blend of class room-based teaching, practical sessions in the computing lab, course work, record work, seminar and project work.
The department has well qualified and competent faculty members with rich experience in teaching and research. The faculty members create an environment that is conducive for teaching learning process.
The department is 100% networked connecting all the class rooms, laboratories and office. It is equipped with two air-conditioned computer labs with 60 nodes each; two computer labs with 15 nodes each exclusively for research; and one Internet of Things (IoT) lab. The department has one fully air-conditioned seminar hall and one smart class room for conducting academic as well as research programmes.
- Thrust Areas
The thrust areas of research of the department are artificial intelligence, big data analytics, bio-inspired computing, image processing, data mining, data modeling, big data analytics, computer networks, internet of things, signal & image processing, soft computing, speech processing and wireless sensor networks.
- 2008: M.C.A. Programme
- 2009: Initiated 2nd batch of MCA Programme
- 2013: Established Incubation and Technology Transfer Center
- 2016: Initiated M.Sc. Data Analytics Programme
- 2017: Established High Performance Computing Facility
- 2017: Established Computing Lab with 60 nodes and one server
- 2018: Established IoT Lab
- 2020: Initiated M.Sc. Cyber Security Programme in collaboration with CSCC Labs, Hyderabad
- 2020: Designed Curriculum 4.0 that introduces Industry 4.0 tools across science, social science and arts education
- 2020: Introduced “Introduction to Industry 4.0”
- 2021: With the eminent Leadership of the Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor Prof. P. Kaliraj, bringing out five books on Industry 4.0 tools - Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Internet of Things (IoT) and Block Chain, Augmented Reality, and Education 4.0
- Roll of Honour