The common computing center of Bharathiar University was established during the year 2012. The center is set up in the midst of the University Academic Campus and is spread over an area of around 2500sq ft. This center aims to function as a Central facility to fulfill all the computer related services required for the students, research scholars and academic fraternity.
The UGC has been helping Universities and Colleges through several general as well as specific schemes to keep pace with the developments in the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). The center is established with the help of additional assistance during XI plan under the scheme for providing financial assistance to University already covered under section 2(F) and 12(B) of UGC Act 1956. The objective of the scheme is to set up a Computer Centre as a Central facility for the growth anddevelopmentof teaching, research and other related activities inaddition to the work relating to theadministration, finance, examination and admission of the University.
- In order to spread the computer awareness among students and faculty members, the computer center would design and provide training in short term courses related to information and communication technology.
- The center will house software tools in the areas of Data Analytics, Data Mining, Knowledge Management, Business Intelligence, Image Processing, Image Compression, Security, Network Simulation, Statistical Packages, Simulation tools, Accounting packages, Speech recognition and Business Modeling.
- The center would develop forum for the teaching staff, non-teaching staff and students where they can share their ideas and knowledge.
- The center would also undertake consultancy projects for various software and business firms.
- The center will also establish video conferencing facility, multimedia facility, meeting hall (small) and meeting hall (big) in the near future.
- In order to induce the knowledge on State-of-art technology to teachers, scholars and students, training will be given by conducting workshops on latest technology and recent tools.